Tuition Dispute

If you have withdrawn from CU after the withdrawal deadline, you are charged up to 100% of tuition and fees, depending on the date of your withdrawal. Learn more about withdrawing at the Office of the Registrar.  To dispute tuition and mandatory fee charges once you’ve withdrawn, you must make a formal appeal to the Tuition Dispute Committee. Disputes are only considered under extenuating circumstances such as family emergency, unanticipated medical reasons or unexpected financial crisis. Official documentation (see below) must be provided to substantiate the circumstances.

If you disagree with tuition and fee charges and fail to avail yourself of the dispute process by the end of the semester (last day of finals), you waive your right to appeal. Late requests will be considered only if you can provide documentation that circumstances beyond your control prevented you from submitting your appeal on time. The dispute committee reserves the right to deny your request.

Dispute Process

  1. You must drop your class or formally withdraw from the university before submitting a tuition dispute form.
  2. The committee must receive the form, the required documentation and a personal statement, by the end of the semester (last day of finals) in which the charges were incurred or you waive your right to appeal. Send the form and all documentation to Regent Administrative Center, Room 150, 43 UCB, Boulder CO 80309-0043.
  3. The process takes about 3 weeks, longer if documentation is missing.
  4. The committee may request more documentation.
  5. You will be notified by email or mail when a decision is made.
  6. If your request is approved, your tuition and fee account will be automatically adjusted.

Circumstances under which you can dispute

University error
Recent unanticipated medical condition
Immediate family emergency
Recent unanticipated financial problems
Verification of non-attendance
Transfer to another school

Student Health Insurance

If your request is approved, the health insurance fee may be refunded. This will result in no health insurance coverage for the entire semester. Contact Wardenburg Health Services, 303-492-5107, if you wish to remain insured or have questions.

Financial Aid

If you received financial aid during the eligible semester, contact the Office of Financial Aid, 303-492-5091, to determine how withdrawing and disputing your account will affect your financial aid status.

Other Information

  • All information submitted is confidential.
  • Course fees will not be refunded for classes dropped after the drop/add period even if your request is approved.
  • Submitting a tuition dispute form with documentation does not guarantee a full nor a partial refund.
  • Submitting a request for a tuition dispute form does not exempt you from late and finance charges or financial holds. We recommend you pay your bill in full by the published deadline.